Saturday, December 12, 2009

Christmas Shopping 1919 style!

Christmas 1919, my grandparents were newlyweds. My grandfather was working as an Army Chaplain and was stationed in France for part of the war and for a time after the Armistice. My grandmother sent him an account of her expenditures. Regarding Christmas presents she wrote:

Everything was so expensive this year and there seemed so many to remember. I had little time for making things, so do not think that Christmas will cost us this much every year. I felt I must treat your people well for your sake; Grandmother and I went together to get sweaters for the boys; I bought napkins for Grandmother and made a sweater for Ellen. These things count up fast.

It turns out she bought presents for 29 people. Her total cost? $41.47.

If only...

Anon,

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment