Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I'm Not the Lorax...But I speak for the trees


One Friday about a month or so ago, I decided to take the day off of work to write. I was pounding away at my keyboard feverishly working on my manuscript when I heard a whomp, whomp, whomp sound. I didn't think much about it as my neighbors tend to be a bit noisy. Well when the noise continued I looked up from my computer and saw the tree in front of my window shaking side to side. I got up from my chair to get a closer look and saw my downstairs neighbor whacking at the tree with a machete. He gave the tree one more whack and then dragged the tree into his apartment.

Intrigued, I took a closer look at the stump he left behind. It was pretty small and wasn't very wide and didn't seem to be diseased in any way. I wondered what would possess my neighbor to cut down a perfectly good tree and why would he drag it into his apartment? Then I did something that I don't normally do. I ratted him out to the management staff of the apartment complex. I figured they owned the tree afterall- my neighbor was really just renting the darn thing, they should know happened to it.

The apartment manager thanked me for calling (like you would thank a stranger you suspect might be a bit of a loon) and said they would talk to my neighbor. I don't know if anything came of my complaint but none of the other trees surrounding our building have been harmed.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
-The Lorax,

Dr. Seuss

1 comment:

  1. Okay, freaky! The strangest thing I ever had a neighbor do was drive right off his circular driveway, through a fence, across my yard, getting stuck in my little car-turn-around-basketball-court. Then he got out and hurried to his house -- well as quickly as someone who is staggeringly drunk can hurry! We called the police and they couldn't get him to open his door. However they impounded the car which meant it got towed off our property at no expense to use.

    ReplyDelete